No Data on Station View

Our station was turned off for some electrical work in our building. It booted up and connected fine on startup, but now Station View indicates “not set.” Everything appears to be functioning fine. Thoughts?RSH.RD56B.2019-12-16T02_50_03.logs.tar (3.2 MB)

hi,

from the log files, it appears that NTP is not able to make a connection to any NTP servers. (files myshake.out and postboot.log). only when the NTP service is up and connected to an NTP server will the data be forwarded to the server.

please check with your network administrator to confirm that port 123 is open for bi-directional communications. you can also find a complete discussion of the network requirements here.

as well, postboot.log indicates your shake is directly connected to the internet at large. since this is an IoT, our recommendation is that you locate your shake on a LAN where there is a router between the shake and the internet. of course, this is up to you, but please be aware that this exposes the shake to the internet at large, and, consequently, to bad actors.

cheers,

richard

Thanks. I’ll have our network tech look into that. I noticed on the Station View that the station name has changed- could that be an issue?

Thanks,

Rob

hi,

i’m not sure what you mean: the station name is RD56B and has not changed since you turned the unit first on back on day 2018:222, according to the postboot log files.

as for station view, i do not see that your station is visible. what other-named station are you referring to? i’m going to guess that this is simply a different shake than yours, possibly very close by?

richard

You are correct about the other station, S9E82 happened to appear a block away, and isn’t sending data. I thought it might be an error.

Here is what I gathered:

• Our firewall is now blocking NTP because we use an internal NTP server. Can this be used instead?
  • The shake is definitely behind a router(s) and a firewall, and not directly connected to the internet.

hi,

yes, you may specify your own NTP servers to connect to. edit the file /etc/ntp.conf and replace the lines that specify “0 through 1”.pool.ntp.org (lines 23 - 26 or so) with the NTP servers you prefer to connect to. this can be either a machine name (that resolves using your DNS server), or an IP address if this is preferred.

after you save the file, please reboot and verify that the NTP service is successfully contacting the new server by looking at the file postboot.log.

cheers,

richard

I updated the /esc/ntp.conf file to list our internal ntp server. The date and time are correct- how long should I expect until it is back on the network?

Thank you for your help,
Rob

hi,

i see that your unit has successfully connected to the data server, but for some reason it is not appearing on the stationview map even though i can clearly see that data is arriving okay.

i will be looking into this and will get back to you when i have more information.

apologies for the inconvenience,

richard

hi robert,

your station is again appearing on-line in station view:

https://raspberryshake.net/stationview/

cheers,
richard

Thank you for your assistance,

Happy New Year,

Rob

image001.jpg

1 Like