New user - cannot connect to RS front end

Hello - I am a teacher who is attempting to log into the Raspberry Shake configuration for the first time. I have connected everything according to https://edu.raspberryshake.org/get-started/setup-guide/, and I have all five lights lit up on my Pi. I am on my home network (open, it’s at my house), but I cannot access the front end through any web browser. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to the forum.

If you’re using Win 10, there may be a problem accessing using rs.local.
Try the IP address, e.g., 192.168.1.xxx, which you can get using Fing on your mobile.

3 Likes

I connected my Shake to my local Windows machine and found the IP address, then installed NoVNC and configured Putty ( a Virtual Machine software) on my local Windows Desktop. Remember to install the NoVNC Server version since the Shake “Serves” the workstation.

Once that has been installed and you have the IP Address you can log into your Shake and configure it for your purposes. Remember, there is no Graphic User Interface (GUI) to work from, so you have to get into it from a Terminal. The easiest way is to search Google for “How to use Headless Raspbian”. This will give you a better understanding of how you can proceed. There are several Videos on the internet you can watch. Any coding can be found on Google. I also configured mine to use a wireless adapter, and have it configured to connect automatically to the adapter when no wired ethernet connection is detected. I got this all from YouTube and RaspberryPi.org.

3 Likes

Thank you both! It is now up and running.

2 Likes