New Shake, Doesn't load software - followed instructions - nothing

I received my DIY shake 4D today, assembled it with my RPi4 4gb, installed it in the case, and inserted the SD card. Powered it on and waited for the led show, but all I get is a solid blue on the 4D board and a solid Red on the Pi. It didn’t do anything for the better part of an hour. I waited, hoping that it would do something or that my router would discover it, but nothing happened.

I followed the directions using a newly formatted SD card and reimaged it with the files from raspishake-release, but that still did nothing. I’ve been at it for better part of 3 hours, and am at my wits end.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I correct it?

Hello Tech Support!

Well…it just so happens that on a whim I replaced the RPi4 with an RPi3B+ and what do you know? Yeah…It works, so apparently the software does not work with RPi4 as I was told by Branden. I’d like to be able to use my RPi4 as Branden said I’d be able to. So if you’d kindly create the image and send me a link I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

hi matt,

sorry for the misunderstanding. full support for Pi Model 4’s are in the development pipeline and a notification will be put out when that happens.

in the meantime, please enjoy your system with the Pi model that is working for you.

regards,

richard

Then how do you explain this email I got from Branden Christensen?

Branden Christensen branden.christensen@raspberryshake.org
To:
Mathew Manzano

Done!

Yours,

Branden Christensen

CEO, Raspberry Shake, Social Media: @raspishake

“Vive a tu manera” - Herencia de Timbiquí

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:40 AM Branden Christensen <branden.christensen@raspberryshake.org> wrote:

Matt:

We are adding an option to the shop for the “4 Model B” RPi computer. I will let you know when this is done.

Yours,

Branden Christensen

CEO, Raspberry Shake, Social Media: @raspishake

“Vive a tu manera” - Herencia de Timbiquí

I just don’t like being told something would work when it hasn’t even been tested. Seems unethical to me. In any case, yes, I will enjoy using the version that works.

hi matt,

not sure what happened, branden’s out at the moment and i will let you know after he’s back.

unethical? i’m going to assume there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and that humans sometimes make mistakes. if you mean to imply something was done here intentionally to fool you, you couldn’t be more wrong.

again, my sincere apologies that your model-4 computer isn’t yet able to work with the shake hardware, but it will.

richard

I withdraw the unethical comment. This is my second shake, one I purchased from ebay, so you can understand my frustration at being told I could also use a shake with RPi4. In any case I’ve configured it and am moving it to the basement for permanent deployment. We will keep it dark until the testing for RPi4 has been completed and redeploy with the RPi4 as planned.

Thank you,

Matt

1 Like

Matt:

Good morning and sorry for the confusion.

My reference to “Done!” on September 12th was adding the RPi 4 Model B option to the shop so that when you purchased we would send you the appropriate enclosure. On September 9th, I wrote, “We are working to release a software update (which is done over-the-air/ via Internet) to include support for the 4 Model B later this month/ early next month.” I hope your son enjoys Shaking as much as you do!

Yours, branden

Branden,

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. When the support for RPi 4 Model B is Generally Available (GA) will there be an announcement or an email to let me know?

Also, when I do the upgrade to RPi 4 Model B will the settings transfer from the RPi 3 B+ SD Card or will I need to reconfigure them again?

We are enjoying them immensely, yes. It is a great product for sure! Wish I had backed you on Kickstarter.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

No problem!

Yes, there will be a general announcement and newsletter.

You would need to burn a new microSD card image, so the settings would not transfer in this case.

We received a lot of support on KS. We are happy to have your support now. These are still early days :slight_smile:

branden

hello,

an update on Shake-OS 4 Model B support:

the Shake-OS image available for general download, found here, now provides full support for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B computers for use with all Raspsberry Shake seismograph types.

cheers,
richard