My station board has lost eth connection?

Hello Sirs.
Thanks for Your warning. I checked my station and found that it hasn’t a working eth connection anymore…
No green /yellow lights on eth port???
Mains found connected , tried to disconnect and reconnect, red led on. but no eth lights on port.
I checked with another cable/switch port but no traffic.
Please suggest, what can I do?
Thanks,
Marco

Hello Marco, welcome to the community!

No problem for the warning, we send it out just for this purpose.

From your description, it seems that there is some kind of problem on the connection part of the Raspberry Pi board, in particular if the lights of the LAN port are not on. Without logs, unfortunately, I cannot be more specific, and I know that without connection it is impossible to download them.

You can try to connect a computer directly to the Shake, as explained here: How to access your Raspberry Shake’s computer via ssh — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake and see if this works and you can access the Shake data.

If this doesn’t work, then I’m afraid that the only thing to do is to re-burn the microSD card to eliminate all issues and start from a fresh install.

These are the instructions to prepare the new OS image:

I followed the numbered list points to burn the files on my SD cards, and I have not used Etcher or similar software.

Thank You Sir!
I tried ssh but no ping answer so I believe the eth port is unavailable…
I’ll go with the re-burn, a couple days and I’ll try…

Thanks,
Marco

2 Likes

Hello Sir.
I am trying to have it back and running but…
Well, bought a new samsung 32gb card, burned the latest software and it seems all right but… cannot keep the fixed ip address I tried to input.
Both via the web page and the ssh sudo nano options…
All lights blinking, red, green, blue, the green and yellow on eth port… but… no way?
Sorry for the hassles…
Marco

One more… how can I be sure to switch off any dhcp server? When I connect again the raspberry it seems to put down all my lan… maybe trying to run a dhcp server in a fixed ip lan (with more or less 250 fixed ip’s…)???
Thanks again,
Marco

Hello Marco,

To make sure that the DHCP server is shut down, you can execute these commands once logged into the Shake:

sudo systemctl stop dhcpcd
sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd

Regarding the inability to keep a fixed IP address, this appears to be strange, since it should remain as you set it up.

Could you please post the content (by attachment or via screenshot) of the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file? Thank you.

Hello Sir.
I tried to reburn the sd from scratch but same problem here… not keeping the fixed ip, very slow webpage updating, not always connectable I had to force the ip, rs.local didn’t found anything).

I anyway succeded downloading the log…RSH.R976C.2020-08-13T23 10 44.logs.tar (93.5 KB)

Well, I am thinking about the raspberry 3b board… changing it?
I will wait Your suggestion/help before byuing another board …
Thanks,
Marco

Hello Marco,

Thank you for the new logs. From them, I can see that the Shake turns on correctly, except for the internet issue, so we know that the software is working as it should.

Can you try the following two procedures, or, if you have already tried the first, try the second one please? Thank you.

These are our manual procedures to assign IP and DNS addresses to our Shakes. If you have already tried one of them, you can try with the second one. They are explained in this page on our manual, Firewall issues? — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake , but I’ll add some more info below.

There are two possible ways: setting a manual IP and DNS in the http://rs.local web config, or adding a line to /etc/dhcpcd.conf in the Shake filesystem.

1. The first doesn’t require logging into the Shake. Navigate to rs.local, make note of the Shake’s IP address, then click on the Settings gear icon (high on the left) to access the configuration menu.Click on NETWORK, then under ETHERNET SETTINGS, click on “Enable static IP”.Fill out the Static IP field with the address you copied from the front page. Fill out the DNS server field with a more reliable DNS service. OpenDNS, which is 208.67.222.222, is a good choice. You can also use Cloudflare DNS service by entering 1.1.1.1 or Google by entering 8.8.8.8.

The second way, a bit more complex, in which you can keep your Shake on a dynamic IP (assigned by your modem/router):

1. SSH into the Shake (guide here: How to access your Raspberry Shake’s computer via ssh — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake )Once you’re in, copy and paste these commands (this example is for Cloudflare DNS):
sudo echo 'static domain_name_servers=1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1' >> /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Now make sure those changes took hold:

sudo service dhcpcd restart

And see if they are properly displayed in the file with this command:

nano /etc/resolv.conf

The file should look like the following:

# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 1.0.0.1

You should not need to restart, these changes will take effect immediately, but if you want, you can still do it.

Hello Sir… Thanks for Your kind reply.
Well, trying to input the fixed ip via web page isn’t working.
Nor it works editing the conf file via ssh.
???

I saved it every time but, even if I verified that the dhcpcd.conf file has the correct data, the web page stubborly refuses to keep and use them… Like it takes the data from somewhere else… so it doesn’t keep the ip address I put and that I confirm is in fact present it the conf file.
???
As I wrote, I both tried to input the fixed ip via webpage and via ssh, with same result… no way to have it kept.

I’ll try today about the dns fields, me too I usually use 208.67.222.222 and google’s one… and they are fixed in the pfsense router as well…
???

Thanks,
Marco

Hello Sir.
Back online!!!
I had to change the raspberry board… I think the long hot cooked the chip in some way…
Maybe I’ll try to buy some little dissipators and glue them on top of the chips…
wip…
Thanks,
Marco

1 Like

Hello Marco,

Glad to hear that! Yes, I think you can find online many little types of dissipators that you can use to try and keep the temperatures of the chips as low as it is possible.

Usually, if everything stays below 55-60°C you should have no issues in the future.

Enjoy your Shake!