miniSEED to csv? (offline)

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a research project looking to use RaspberryShakes as stand-alone sensors, possibly in an environment without an internet connection.

I have been using SWARM for the past few months, but I would like to be able to directly view and manipulate a .csv file. I was wondering if there is a way to convert miniSEED files to CSV/text, and where these daily log files would be stored if the Raspberry Pi was not connected to the internet.

Thanks for your patience and help; I’ve been stuck on this for a while now.

Hello TheTacoMuncher, welcome to the community!

This might work for what you need: https://seiscode.iris.washington.edu/projects/mseed2ascii

It converts miniSEED format into ASCII, and from that, I think you can import it into a .csv file. Maybe it will need some adjustments, but I think it is worth a try.

Regarding the file storage, this page of our manual contains what you need: How to download your data — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Remember that, by default, only 7 days are continuously saved in the Shake storage. You can change this value as explained in the link above.

1 Like

Another method that you can try is to combine the UDP DATACAST stream from the Shake to a python process running on the Shake itself that you can write to transform and write the ASCII data to a .csv format file directly.

This is our dedicated manual page: Raspberry Shake Data Producer UDP Port Output — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Also, there is already a program on the Shake-Pi (directory /opt/settings/user) that will do the connection and data-stream setup for the user. This program could be tweaked/enhanced to output the data to another file in the user’s preferred format, such as the .csv that you require.

In the end, a bit of tinkering and trial-and-error could be what you need to properly obtain the data format that you need.

1 Like

I am facing same issue, how to convert mseed file to csv fie.

Try Googling mseed2ascii

2 Likes

Hello Zamir, and welcome to our community!

As TideMan suggested, this might work for what you need: https://seiscode.iris.washington.edu/projects/mseed2ascii

It converts miniSEED format into ASCII, and from that, I think you can import it into a .csv file. Maybe it will need some adjustments, but I think it is worth a try.