Intermittent data streams, LAN access, 3D showing up "non raspberry shake sense"

Hello,

I installed my RS 3D a couple of days ago and it appears to have some issues as a battery backed UPS to my RS. I have a stable internet connection and LAN network but the RS will intermittently stop reporting and it also seems to have issues showing correctly in Shakenet Dashboard, ShakeNet Iphone App, it does to appear to report up into RS Dataview but there are large gaps. I thought by switching over to a static IP it might help but it will lose LAN connection intermittently as well, I have attached logs, and a couple of screen shots.

RSH.R4EBF.2022-09-05T16_15_04.logs.tar (2.0 MB)

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 9.20.26 AM

Sorry something happened weird when I pasted my first message above- here is the corrected post :slight_smile:
Hello,

I installed my RS 3D a couple of days ago and it appears to have some issues. I have a stable internet connection, LAN network and have a battery backup UPS/surge protector to my RS. The RS will intermittently stop reporting and it also seems to have issues showing correctly in Shakenet Dashboard, ShakeNet Iphone App, it does appear to report up into RS Dataview but there are large gaps. I thought by switching over to a static IP it might help but it will lose LAN connection intermittently as well, I have attached logs, and a couple of screen shots.

This is almost certainly a network problem at the RS database/server.
I am seeing the same pattern. If you check other stations you will see the same pattern.
Not your system/internet connection.

My trace

2 Likes

Interesting thank you!

Hello from Parrett Mountain- just up the road from you :slight_smile:

Still interesting that I am losing local LAN access as well- I have not done any power-cycles etc, it seems to come back up after a bit and then I can so a reboot from the GUI. I am going to setup some ping tests etc to see if can tell if the LAN access and the reporting into Dataview are correlated.

Looks like you are the other side of the mountain, otherwise, I could stand on the deck and wave to you :slight_smile:

I am really glad to have another operational station locally.

Keeping dropping the connection seems a bit odd.
It just might be the resolution of rs.local (if you are using that) having problems - depending on what OS you are using (Windows has issues sometimes). You might be better just using the IP instead, and verifying that the connection is stable with ping (as you say).

Comparing your trace to mine (Dataview) I see some differences in the breaks, but given the obvious issues they seem to have had (still having?) I wouldn’t read too much onto that right now.

1 Like

Yep, over on the east side. I am in Newberg often, if you ever see a Mercedes 404 Unimog or a heavily modified MB Sprinter that is me:) I have set up local logging tools, I “think” I have even lost connection via the static IP that I have assigned. I have both Mac, Windows, and various other Linux systems. Will see what comes up, great to talk with you!

I am pretty sure you have my FaceBook name … but if you want/need to chat a bit more “offline”, you can always use: philip @ vogon.net - without the spaces, of course.

Your station has already answered one of my questions - watch for a post on here about spikes…

1 Like

To RS Tech- I was able to get my 3D back into the Iphone OS App Shakenet by logging in and out. However I am still showing up as gray in StationView and I have no data in ShakeNet.

From the logs:

Station Info
------------

Data-Sharing Mode : ON
 Data Server Conn : ON
   Save Data Days : 7
       Heli Scale : 0.7
     Station Name : AM.R4EBF.00.EH[Z,N,E]
         Geophone : R-SHAKE

The geophone type is shown as R-SHAKE, so this should not be showing as unknown type (gray).

@Stormchaser ???

1 Like

hi taylorad3,

there are a few things going on:

1. in prior startups of the unit, either access to the internet was inhibited and / or access to NTP servers was not possible. both situations will mean that data won’t be sent to the server, this likely explains some of the drop-outs server-side. this problem seems to have solved itself in the latest reboot.

2. regarding the OTHER geophone, i see server-side that the unit initially reported the geophone as R-SHAKE, but then started reporting OTHER in the last two days.

can you do me a favor and send me the following file, but as a DM to me directly, it contains sensitive information which should not be posted publicly:

/opt/settings/config/MD-info.json

thanks in advance,
richard

1 Like

Sent! Thank you for taking a look

I just have one system BTW, a 3D, will be getting a boom next month

1 Like