How to synchronize mutiple instruments without internet

Hello community,

I have the following problem:

I want to synchronize the time for multiple rasberry shake instruments without internet. This is because I’m currently studyng the dynamic behavior of a structure located far form any source of internet.

¿Is it possible to do this without a GPS? Only using a local network.

My idea was to convert a computer into a server, so then the instruments can read de UTC from this central PC (a laptop) through a router.

I’ve try to use the NTP server commands to make this happen, but honestly I don’t know what to do.

Thanks for your answers!

Hello matias, welcome to the community!

Yes, it is possible to synchronise the timing of many different devices via a single pc server. We have some documentation here on our manual, in the dedicated NTP page: NTP and GPS timing details — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

The computer that would run the local NTP server can be any computer whatsoever, a normal pc, a laptop, or even another Raspberry Pi.

The basic idea behind this is that you have a local computer that has two things:

1. a connected GPS device that governs the HW clock on this computer
  2. running an NTP server (not the client daemon) to which a Shake Pi will connect to use as its NTP server

In this way, you will have a single NTP server that will regulate the timing of all the devices connected to it, instead of having multiple NTP connections for each device. This will give you an improved level of accuracy, ensuring that all your devices are in synchro with each other, and all their data can be promptly used together without the need to check for the aforementioned synchronization.

1 Like