How does rs.local work?

In the old days (a year or so ago), I was able to use multicastDNS in Win 10 (with Bonjour installed) to access machines on my network using names like xxx.local. However, an update of Win 10 about a year ago put the kibosh on this and I had to revert to using the IP address 192.168.1.xxx.

But rs.local works beautifully, even in the latest version of Win 10.

My question is how?
And my second question is: can I use the same method for accessing other machines on the network?

Hi @TideMan,

Without knowing the details of your setup (and without knowing much about Windows’ latest OSs), I suggest you have a look at the following Adafruit article for guidance:

Ian

Hi TideMan,

Did you try to use the shake on Windows 10 using a direct connection with the Ethernet port as a standalone connection? Because I am having some problems with the direct connection.

Best Regards
Shakeel

Did you try to use the shake on Windows 10 using a direct connection with the Ethernet port as a standalone connection? Because I am having some problems with the direct connection.

No, I use a router for all 3 of my RS machines and it works perfectly. I have 2 on the same network and the second one (a Boom) is called rs-2.local.

ok! now I connected it to the router and tried to access http://rs.local/ but it says site cannot be reached. do i need to do some additional settings?