Gaps while using other seedlink server

Dear Raspberry Shake Team

I’ve received my rs3d and I’ve been testing it since 2 days ago. I’m little worried about cables placement inside indoor case because it could be a noise source but everything appear to be ok. The unit is right now recording data and it is possible to retrieve the seismograms through SWARM without problems despite a slow plots’ refreshing rate.

Trying to download data using G EOPSY seedlink client, I get a lot of gaps and bad samples like those depicted in the attached figures. It’s weird because they aren’t present downloading data from SWARM and through RS’ FDNS Service. Checking rs3d logs, I’ve found a lot of "sendDClientDP(): Error sending data … " errors. Also is shown a large “No Data has been received from the MCU in 12” error group that I think it’s related with a 2 hours of no data reported by the unit around UTC 10-02-20-01:00:00

Guys, I was wondering if you could help me check if my installation is ok and no damage is found with my rs3d?.

This is not related with this report, but idk if you would help me to clarify if my seismograms are dominated by electronic noise or if what my rs3d has recorded is dominated by seismic noise (Maybe I’m located in a noisy place??).

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

RSH.R6CE7.2020-10-03T00 01 26.logs.tar (1.7 MB)

Hello korrozivelab,

it is indeed quite strange that the data are good from SWARM or FDSN but broken from GEOPSY. Let’s analyse your logs:

The booting process was executed properly. The unit didn’t manage to find NTP (the time synchronisation service) at first, but the issue was resolved automatically.

In the system.log file there are many
Oct 2 01:18:49 raspberryshake kernel: [ 1607.819519] ttyS ttyS0: 1 input overrun(s)
These can mean that some of the connections of the Shake are not solid. Did you assemble the Shake yourself? Even if you received a pre-assembled unit, can you please check that every cable is properly in its socket, and that the Shake blue board is solidly inserted in the Raspberry Pi computer pins?

In this case, your gaps are possibly caused by a missed data packet off the serial port, which can result in either a gap, or, as it can also happen, a spike when data points are either dropped or corrupted.

Our latest Shake OS image (which you can download from here: https://gitlab.com/raspberryShake-public/raspshake-sd-img) contains some recent modifications to handle these tty overruns. If you are interested in reducing these (false) data artefacts to the greatest extent possible, then you should consider downloading and installing the updated version. Instructions to do so are in the same page.

As you have already noticed, you also have had some hard resets of the NTP services:

2020 276 01:21:24>> Time adjustment M0: HARD RESET. This will result in a one-time time-tear.
2020 276 01:21:24>> 5.0: NTP Time (Init): NTP: 1601601684.287961483
2020 276 01:21:24>> 5.2: NTP Sync (HARD): VEL Before: 1601601477.276000023 After: 1601601684.026999950 Diff: 206.750999928
2020 276 01:22:13>> Connection succeeded to DDS server.

The last line suggests that they solved themselves, but those resets can cause some data to miss their upload, resulting in gaps in the records. Please check that in your modem/router the

port 123

that is used by the NTP process is open for TCP and UDP traffic in both directions.

For all the rest, your Shake is operating properly and transmitting data to our servers: https://raspberryshake.net/stationview/#?net=AM&sta=R6CE7 so, unless you specifically require the GEOPSY software (and in this case, I encourage you to contact them and point out the same issue and difference comparing their output to our FDSN service output and asking for clarification), you still have valid data available through other means.