FDSN Server Unknown Errors

I’ve been getting a few of these today at random. they seem to persist up to maybe 5 minutes at a time.

I haven’t seen this error before today.

Al.

1 Like

Hello sheeny,

It’s the first time I’ve seen this particular error too. It may be related to the issue that happened some days ago when the FDSNWS service was not available.

I will report it to our server team, thank you for the notification! If it happens again, please, as usual, feel free to add a new message to this topic.

I had the error occur again once yesterday, but it has occurred three times again today so far. This time triggered by the rs.get_stations command rather then the get_waveforms command.

I also got a new error today which may or may not be related:

Al.

1 Like

Apologies if you have already shown it elsewhere on the forum, but with get_stations, are you acquiring data from the entire network in your request or using a limiting radius/coordinate box? What is the logic process in which that command is being used?

I ask because I tried to replicate the possible causes that could generate this error on my side, but I think that, as I am using a .csv file to acquire station data (lat/long/location), I am not in the same “environment conditions” as you are.

If you haven’t tried, I can advise you to do the same and create a little spreadsheet that can be read from Python so that you have all stations readily available without having to poll the service for the same data each time your code is run; it could speed-up your process.

As per the HTTP 500 code that you are seeing, this is a more generic one that simply says that the server was unable to complete your request. I will see if the server team has more details about it.

As usual, thanks for the notification sheeny.

1 Like

G’Day Stormchaser,

No, I’m not using a limiting radius or coordinates, just a specific station at a time.

It would only be my Local Stations Section Report that uses multiple stations and even then I build a list to download response and coordinates from individually. I agree that takes time, but I’m not too concerned with that as I’m usually working with about 5-6 stations and rarely up to 10. I’ll have to have a look into it though.

Al.

2 Likes