Executing swarm - permission denied

Hi there,
I am installing SWARM and when I type ./swarm.sh to open it I get the message ‘permission denied’. How can I fix this? I have tried with typing sudo first but then get ‘command not found’

Thanks

Hello VS1,

have you tried to launch the command prompt with administrator rights, and from there launch ./swarm.sh?

You might need to type sh ./swarm.sh
Just did this today because I rather not mess with chmod +r just yet

Thanks, I have tried this but still does not work?

Hello VS1,

then you may try with executing chmod +x swarm.sh before launching ./swarm.sh.

This should give the file the necessary permissions. In the case it still doesn’t work, you can try to uninstall SWARM and reinstall it again from scratch (after downloading the latest version here: USGS: Volcano Hazards Program), to eliminate the possibility that some misconfigured file is generating this problem.

If, even after this, you are still getting a Permission Denied error, I encourage you to write to SWARM creators at USGS, explain in detail the issue to them and see if they can provide you with a solution, since it is their proprietary software.

1 Like

This is why I shouldn’t rely on fuzzy Linux memories from years ago. Yes, +x to make the file executable not r!! That’s read.

1 Like

I am a MAC user and I was also getting “permission denied”. However I just used your suggestion of “sh ./swarm.sh” and it worked! I also deleted the old swarm file and downloaded it again and used that text command. Here are complete instructions.

Activating Swarm Monitor on MAC

The solution is: sh ./swarm.sh
The issue: instructions on line were incorrect in this instance. Needed to add an “sh” to “./swarmsh”

INSTRUCTIONS

• Download the SWARM.zip file.
  • Unzip it.
  • Right click (Control click) the Swarm folder and select “Open Terminal at folder”
  • The terminal app pops up.
  • In the text after the computer name/swarm folder name/username$ there is a cursor. This is where you paste “sh ./swarm.sh”.

End note, I wondered if it had to do with the fact that I never had the opportunity to login with the standard username and password at start up? Apparently not. It must have been an automatic sign on I assume. Thanks :slight_smile: for your help @rpmik .

3 Likes

Please also note that Swarm has been replaced by dataview.raspberryshake.org.

Branden

1 Like