EQ Locator limitation

A couple of days ago a friend who lives about 70kms away asked if my shake detected a quake or rockfall/landslide at a particular time. Sure enough I had a good signal within a couple of minutes of the time he gave me. It lacked low frequencies, however, (weak below 8Hz) so it didn’t look like a quake. It was too small to appear on ShakeNet and also was not reported on @EarthquakesGA (probably because it wasn’t an earthquake), but I found the same signal on two other Shakes around the event.

I tried to use the EQ Locator to pin point the source but found it is limited to known events on ShakeNet.

Is it possible to add a feature to allow it to work with nominated Shake streams so small local quakes or rockfalls/landslides etc can be located even if they aren’t big enough to register on ShakeNet?

Thanks,

Al.

2 Likes

Hello Al,

Yes, as of now EQLocator can be used only with seismic events that are detected by our Shake network.

I will open a ticket for our development team showing them all the details behind your suggestion, but I cannot, unfortunately, give you an ETA when this feature will become available.

Thank you for your feedback!

I have had a couple of instances of local-ish events that showed on my device and others within a few miles. I too tried to use the EQLocator and hit the same limitation. So add my name to the list of requestors.

2 Likes