Dataview Time suggestion

Just tried viewing an RB in Chattanooga USA looking for a signal from an explosion in Evansville.

Because I’m in Australia, dataview displays time in UTC and my local time (AEST). Is it possible to provide the option to choose another time zone when viewing data in data view? For example, the time zone local to the station would be good - then times from news reports could be simply correlated to the helicorder without having to work out the time zone applicable for the area.

Al.

1 Like

Hello sheeny,

This is an interesting suggestion. I will pass it to our team, and see what they can do about adding a choice menu for the station local time, instead of just displaying UTC and your browser’s time.

Thank you for the feedback!

Yes, this would be useful.

Also, the ability to switch the Y scale between m/s and counts would be useful (or maybe fix the exponent in the displacement value).

2 Likes

Even the ability to switch between UTC and Local time in the wave window pop up would be good.

Al.

2 Likes

Also, the ability to switch the Y scale between m/s and counts would be useful (or maybe fix the exponent in the displacement value).

This is already available. Just click on the m/s off the vertical axis in the helicorder popup and it will convert the scale into counts. Clicking again will revert to m/s.

Even the ability to switch between UTC and Local time in the wave window pop up would be good.

Another interesting suggestion! Listing them all for our development team, thank you both!

I never knew that about switching the Y scale! Yes, works fine - thanks!
(I hope there is a plan to create some sort of user manual for this when it leaves beta stage.)

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

And yes, the manual/guide is being compiled as all the features of DataView are modified/expanded/removed in real-time. It is one of our most complex products, and we want to deliver it in the best possible way for its users.

Glad to hear that. I have seen many really good products almost ruined by lack of complete/accurate documentation.I know developers are not the greatest at writing doc, and employing a tech writer only goes so far, because they can only write what the devs tell them about.

DataViews is a really good tool, and has improved just in the time I have been using it.

2 Likes

I really wish we could switch to the local time zone of my phone. I like this suggestion. It would help me know what I was doing at the time of a given event that my Shake recorded, like sleeping, at work, or something else. Perhaps tap on the time scale and have it switch to the local time?

1 Like

Hello BlackDiamond,

The DataView feature of converting the time scale of the helicorder popup (the window that appears when a part of the waveform is selected) has been implemented, and it is now possible, with a single click or tap on the time zone indicator (usually UTC), to change it to your local time. This is also valid for the live view.

Regarding the general helicorder view, your local time zone should appear on the right vertical axis, while the left will always display UTC.

If this doesn’t work for you, please provide as much information as you can on the problem, so we can see what we can do to solve it.

Hi BlackDiamond.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you are talking about the phone app, is that correct?

Al.

1 Like

Yes I was talking about the phone app. Tapping on the UTC label in the iPhone app didn’t change the time zone. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Hello BlackDiamond,

This feature is not available on our ShakeNet App yet, and the current UTC display is the standard reference for earthquake data.

However, I will pass your suggestion to our App team, so that what we have available on DataView could possibly be integrated in the other application too. Thank you for the prompt!