Customizing helicorder output?

Hello! So, I had an interesting idea of displaying the standard Raspberry Shake helicorder graphs on one of these in “realtime” (or rather, as quickly as they update): https://inkplate.io/, I think it would look great.

However, the resolution of the helicorder output is a bit too big to display it properly. I was wondering if there is maybe some configuration file that could be edited to, for instance, change the width of the output (even if that means losing visual data in the process)? I know that it is possible to change the scaling on the web UI, but that obviously doesn’t change the size of the output file. Furthermore, I could build a separate server which crunches the data and makes my own helicorder output, but it feels like that may be a bit too much work for what I wanted to do…

2 Likes

Hello Thorinair!

What you have in mind sounds really cool! I can advise you to take a look at our RSUDP software, here: rsudp 1.0.2 — rsudp documentation

It has been designed with modular capability, so if what it already does is not really what you want, you can experiment with it and produce something that could then go on services like inkplate.

I think that it can be a good starting point to proceed onwards. Let us know how it will go!

It is a nice option, and it is indeed quite modular and powerful. For just generating helicorder graphs however, it sounds maybe a bit pointless to run a whole separate server to achieve this functionality.

This is the part I was referencing with:

I could build a separate server which crunches the data and makes my own helicorder output, but it feels like that may be a bit too much work for what I wanted to do…

rsudp or not, this sort of thing can easily be coded in any code of choice, but it requires a 3rd machine which will process the data, when raspberry shake could simply just change the output of the graphs instead. Adding more moving parts to an infrastructure for no good reason is never a good idea in my opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like