Connecting to network

Are you using rs.local to connect to your shake? If not, device IPs might have inadvertently changed and you are now trying to connect to a different device than your shake.

Besides that, I am not entirely sure what could cause the access denied error. Burning your SD card with a fresh image might be the easiest fool-proof solution here.

Ok, problem solved – user error.

/etc/resolv.conf: domain hitronhub.home

Nameserver 8.8.8.8

/etc/dhcpcd.conf: static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1

Static ip_address=192.168.1.240/

Static routers=

Static domain_name_servers=8.8.8.8

Traceroute 8.8.8.8 : traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets

1. 169.254.11.54 (169.254.11.54) 1379.034 ms !H 1378.942 ms !H 1378.917 ms !H

Seems like there is a static IP address configured and the trailing slash seems like a typo of sorts.

Could you disable the static IP in the rs.local config screen and also clear the DNS Server entry and then Save and reboot. This is the screen you need:

After your shake has rebooted, check the internet connection. If you still have issues, please output resolve.conf and dhcpcd.conf files again.

hi esther,

when you say “problem solved”, what do you mean exactly? over on the other thread you indicate you’ve given up trying to solve this?

sorry, i’m confused now.

and since we know now that setting a static IP is involved, the likelihood that this is involved is very high.

instead of trying on another LAN, my suggestion would be to try the following:

1. turn off static IP
  2. plug into router directly, to use its DHCP services. this will also assign the DNS server to use
  3. test again to see if you can now access the internet

cheers,
richard

No sorry, that was a previous email where I had fixed a different error. I am still on the verge of giving up! I want so badly to have this work, but it sure has been a time suck.

For your suggestions below:

1. The static IP has always been set to “off.”
  2. The Shake is already plugged directly into the router.
  3. It is still not connected.

Your dhcpcd.conf does indicate a static IP setting, as to how it got that way I don’t know. But it is highly likely it’s the reason behind your connection issues.

Remove all the static lines from the dhcpcd.conf ( static ip_address=..., static routers=, … ) and put in this line:
interface eth0

Restart your shake and let it retrieve its new network settings through DHCP. This should solve your connection issues.

once you have adjusted the files to use a DHCP address returned by the router, please resend the log files. without them, we are unable to see the effects the changes had (or not).

thanks,

richard

I’ve found that setting the static IP address doesn’t work through the UI, especially if you make a mistake the first time. I had to delete the old entries in the files, and edit them directly. That solved my problem.

I changed the files as requested and the log file is attached – still not working.

RSH.R417B.2021-02-14T21 57 04.logs.tar (1.88 MB)

hi esther,

i see from the log file that things are working now as expected, the unit successfully connects to the internet and the various servers it needs.

i can also see the data streaming to the server, and that your station appears in station view, here.

so now we know that when the unit is connected to the router and receives its IP address and DNS addresses automatically, this results in success.

but, you want something different? that its IP address is static, the unit is plugged into an ethernet-over-powerline adaptor, etc.?

this type of setup, of course, is not standard, so getting this to work may or may not be straightforward(!).

glad the unit is working for you,
richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the help! The unit is now plugged into the ethernet-over-powerline adapter, and still working.

My final remaining question – my station still shows as offline on the app on my iPhone. Are you able to confirm if you can see the station online on an iphone?

Esther

hi,

i can see your station fine in the android app. try to go to Settings screen and do a “clear cache” and see if that doesn’t help. another option is to uninstall and reinstall the app. we’ve gotten a couple of reports that new stations sometimes don’t initially appear in the mobile app, we are looking into this and will apply a solution when we find where the code needs improving.

cheers,
richard

Perfect! Thanks Richard. I’m thrilled the Shake is working again!

1 Like