Concerns Regarding Data Transmission from Raspberry Shake Seismic Sensor

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the Raspberry Shake seismic sensor and its data transmission protocols. Specifically, I want to know if disabling Data Forwarding on the device ensures that no seismic data or related information is transmitted to Raspberry Shake’s servers.

My concern stems from the legal regulations in mainland China, which prohibit the transmission of geological data to servers located outside the country. This may be considered a criminal offense, and I want to ensure compliance with these regulations to avoid any potential legal consequences.

Can anyone provide clarity on this matter? I appreciate any insights or information you can share.

Thank you.
Azzbm

1 Like

Hello azzbm,

That is correct. If you disable “Data Forwarding”, no recorded seismic data will leave the Shake, and they will simply remain stored inside the microSD card. The only transmitted data will be your answers and filled-in fields on the general configuration page (use type, name, email, location, etc.):

If you still feel unsure, you can enable Off-Line Mode ON (via Actions -hammer icon high on the left-, then Actions again, and then click on the homonymous button). This is typically used in classroom demonstrations or similar venues, where an internet connection is not required (Offline and stand-alone applications (like classroom demos)).

However, as this mode disables any connection, you’ll need a GPS module to keep your data time-synchronized to maintain the precise accuracy of what your instrument detects.

If you have any other question(s), I remain available.

1 Like

Hello Stormchaser,

Thanks for your answer, I have turned on Off-Line Mode and inserted the GPS module. : )

1 Like

No problem at all! Enjoy your Shake!