Collect real-time data

Hello raspberry shake team
I’m a new consumer and new to raspberry shake/pi in general
I Bought raspberry pi and raspberry shake in order to be able to create a vibration sensor using raspberry shake. I’m a beginner and I wanted to ask how do I collect real-time vibration data from the shake and send it to my central laptop. I’m struggling to do that and I would appreciate your help for a beginner like me .
And thank you

1 Like

Hello ShaimaGuaid,

Regarding your query, there is an available UDP datacast service that you can use to acquire live-stream data from our Shakes to then process/study it, and much more.

You can find information about this feature here in our manual: Raspberry Shake Data Producer UDP Port Output — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Also, you can experiment with our python-based tool RSUDP (provided as-is), which connects to the same UDP datacast service to display a live waveform/spectrogram plot. You can find more information here: rsudp 1.0.3 — rsudp documentation

If your Shake is connected to the internet, you can also use our DataView portal to look and analyze real-time data: https://dataview.raspberryshake.org/

1 Like

Thank you for your answer , I was able to collect the raw data by establishing udp connection between the shake and the server. However , I have a question is there a way to send the data from the shake to raspberry pi over a USB connection ?
and thank you

2 Likes

Hello ShaimaGuaid,

Glad to hear that you were able to access and download live data via the UDP connection.

Regarding your question, not to my knowledge. It is possible to store data on an external archive connected via USB to the Pi board (as explained here: How to mount a USB to store the waveform archive — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake) but I am not sure about data transmission via USB.

It would likely require some code editing, but if you feel the need for it, we always encourage to try and experiment with new approaches.

1 Like