Changed ISP and home network routers, RS4D not connected to RS servers

Hi,

We recently switched ISPs and now have an Eero mesh system. Our RS4D (R8F84) is connected via ethernet to the main hub and I have local access via rs.local and Swarm to the data. The problem is that the data isn’t getting out to the servers, so my iPhone app and shakenet don’t receive data.

I tried adding a port reservation (55555 and 55556) but that didn’t seem to work.

As an additional complication, I may have forgotten my password (:frowning: ) but I’m hoping that I didn’t and would like to try and resolve the issue first before dealing with the difficult (for me) issue of resolving the pw problem.

I need help.

Thanks.

RSH.R8F84.2020-09-19T03_33_56.logs.tar (2.8 MB)

Hello Danielle,

I’m sorry to hear that the new ISP is causing this, let’s see if we can tackle them from our side.

From the postboot.log file, these lines explain the issue as a DNS problem:

2020 261 21:19:19: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available
2020 261 21:19:19: No internet connection found
2020 261 21:19:29: Unable to resolve hostname 'raspberryshake.net', most likely no DNS server available

The first thing you can try (and good work with the 55555:55556 ports) is to check that the following is open too (if not, please open it):

port 123 for TCP and UDP traffic in both directions

This port is used by the NTP time synchro service, which is essential for data upload to our servers: if the NTP service doesn’t work, or stops working, then everything else along the data transmission line fails, and no data is uploaded to our servers, as I am sure you have reasoned.

If you have opened it, restart the Shake and wait to see if Server Connection in rs.local switches to Connected.

If this does not happen, then you can also try to change the DNS on the Shake, as explained in this page on our manual, https://manual.raspberryshake.org/firewallIssues.html#how-to-manually-change-dns, to see if this solves the issue. I’ll add some more info below.

There are two possible ways: setting a manual IP and DNS in the http://rs.local web config, or adding a line to /etc/dhcpcd.conf in the Shake filesystem.

1. The first doesn’t require logging into the Shake. Navigate to rs.local, make note of the Shake’s IP address, then click on the Settings gear icon (high on the left) to access the configuration menu.

Click on NETWORK, then under ETHERNET SETTINGS, click on “Enable static IP”.

Fill out the Static IP field with the address you copied from the front page.

Fill out the DNS server field with a more reliable DNS service. OpenDNS, which is 208.67.222.222, is a good choice. You can also use Cloudflare DNS service by entering 1.1.1.1 or Google by entering 8.8.8.8.

The second way, a bit more complex, in which you can keep your Shake on a dynamic IP (assigned by your modem/router):

1. SSH into the Shake (guide here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/ssh.html)

Once you’re in, copy and paste these commands (this example is for Cloudflare DNS):

sudo echo 'static domain_name_servers=1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1' >> /etc/dhcpcd.conf
    sudo service dhcpcd restart

Now make sure those changes took hold:

nano /etc/resolv.conf

The file should look like the following:

# Generated by resolvconf
    nameserver 1.1.1.1
    nameserver 1.0.0.1

You should not need to restart, these changes will take effect immediately, but if you want, you can still do it.

Thank you!!!

Opening all the ports didn’t work at first. Changing to static IP didn’t work until I changed the DNS.

Now I’m going to experiment and close all the ports to see if they need to be open: ok, I disabled all the port openings and the server is still connecting which means I needed to change the DNS. I’m leaving the static IP for good measure. The DNS I used that was successful with my Sonic/EERO set-up was the Open DNS 208.67.222.222.

Thanks again!!!

Danielle

1 Like

Oh, FWIW, rebooting through the rs.local required a Save Changes command, and thus my password, which thankfully I ended up remembering! (My hint wasn’t coming up at first, it would just leave my hint blank.)

1 Like

Glad that I was able to help! Yes, rebooting requires the input of your password, it is a safety measure that we decided to implement.

Thank you also for the details of your experience, it may be useful in the future as a reference for other users.

Enjoy Shaking!