Cellular modem recommendation?

Hi Shakers,

I am deploying RS and RB instruments at Kennedy Space Center and I have no experience with cellular telemetry.

I’m wondering if anybody recommends a particular (low power) cellular modem?
The only cellular service that works reasonable well there is AT&T (GSM).

I did have a RS there for a few months in 2018. My setup was simple. A 60-W solar panel feeding into a pelican case that contained a Genasun 12 V solar regulator charging a LiFePO4 20-Ah battery. Then a 12-V to 5-V DC converter powering the RS. It worked fine.

I would plan to do the same again, but connect a cellular modem to the RS ethernet or USB socket. Could something like this work:
NETGEAR Beam 340U 4G LTE AirCard USB Mobile Broadband Modem (AT&T)

Or would I need something more like this:
Sierra Wireless AirLink Raven RV50 Industrial LTE Gateway with Ethernet/Serial/USB/GPS

Thanks,

Glenn

1 Like

Hi Glenn,

Your question interests me too. the Raven model seems to meet the needs, but seems a bit expensive.

Olivier

HI Glenn:

This might be of interest too: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/gprs.html?highlight=modem

branden

The easiest solution would be a non-USB one. Something with an independent power source that you just pop a SIM into and connect an Ethernet cable from the Shake to the modem. Then you will not have to install any software on the Shake itself and the comms will be completely transparent to the Shake.

branden

I have used a Huawei E7753 on my remote system with a Chinese antenna

the second gave me better results, connects to +/- 10 miles, the RPI connected by wifi, recently changed for a Mikrotik SXT-LTE-KIT MIKROTIK 3G, this equipment is perfect and if you can put about US $ 120 is what I recommend.
I have connected ADS-B equipment, Weather station, and RShake (which I recently removed to repair).

Cheers,
R9440
CD7CKU

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SXT-LTE-KIT+MIKROTIK+3G&__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&ref=nb_sb_noss

1 Like

I know that this thread has been answered and I agree with the Mikrotik suggested in the latest post. I thought that I would share my setup which I use for a highly mobile system. I use it for microtremmor recording for HVSR analysis.

• Raspberry shake
    • Integrated shutdown/startup button - this taps off some of the headers on the Pi and is an addition to the ports that go through the IP67 outdoor case.
  • LTA/WiFi Router - MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: LtAP mini LTE kit
    • This is set to connect to known WiFi if in range or use the mobile 3G/4G connection if not. The shake is connected via ethernet.
    • This removes the need to do any programming on the shake to try and use a USB dongle or WiFi access point. The LtAP is seen as a direct ethernet connection by the shake and it also deals with all the connection requirements in the background. It could also be accessed with another computer to reprogram without affecting data collection on the shake.
  • USB power bank with 2 x 3 A USB outputs
    • This powers both the router and shake can be powered with 5 V USB for several hours.
    • Xiaomi Mi 20000mAh 50W Fast Charging Power Bank is my current go to.
  • Waterproof case for 4-way multiplug
    • Easy to open and has a waterproof seal for cable entry.
2 Likes

Hello AlanT, welcome back to our community!

Thank you for the very detailed explanation of your mobile setup. Do you also have some pictures that would complement the description you have provided? I feel that both could be very interesting for some of our Shakers around the world!

Thank you again so much for sharing this.

Here’s a pdf with my setup, including photos.

Raspberry Shake Setup.pdf (2.3 MB)

2 Likes

Hello AlanT,

Thank you so much for the PDF with all the details! I am sure that it will be very useful for other Shakers that are interested in building something along these lines.

Helpful thread. Does anyone have experience with products like this in Canada?

Thanks,
Jack