Can continuous location data be logged when using an external GPS?

As part of an experiment I’m thinking about moving my BOOM around quite a bit (whilst running in ‘stand alone’ mode) so it would be really useful to have an accurate record of its exact location at any given time.

As I’ll be using an external GPS for the BOOMs timing I wondered if it could be an option to also log the GPS location data - is this possible?

Hello again!

Logging the GPS location to /opt/log is a good idea. This is not currently done but will be in a future release, but potentially still some months from now.

For now, I would recommend using a hand-held GPS device and noting the location.

branden

Thanks Branden - I look forward to seeing that in a future release!

OK!

Please check the ChangeLog when v0.19 or v0.20 comes out :slight_smile: The GPS coordinates will also then be visible from rs.local’s summary page when you have a GPS antenna connected and the location has been locked.

Thank you for your support and have fun moving your RBOOM around!

branden

Hi Branden,

If you guys are working on including GPS location reporting in your next release, would you mind including some user parameters and notes to disable GPS location obfuscation and/or preset a fixed offset?

Will these GPS logs come down in the log tarball through the rs.local interface?

Cheers,

Jase

hi,

as now, no coordinates are included in the downloaded tar files, regardless the source, i.e., user or GPS.

i’m not sure what you mean by “including parameters, notes, disabling obfuscation … or a fixed offset”. are you wanting the system to be enhanced in some way for your use-case? if so, then maybe a detailed understanding of what that is could help us answer your questions.

cheers,

richard

Hi Ivor,

My understanding of the location reporting of the Shake is that it is obfuscated for privacy and Branden mentioned that in a future release there will be logging of GPS location. Where and when is the data obfuscated i.e. does the Shake send accurate GPS location data to ShakeNet and it is then obfuscated before being made public or is it obfuscated in the RPi before transmission?

If you are planning to log GPS data to /opt/logs would the plan be to log accurate GPS data or the obfuscated location?

I am experimenting with interferometry techniques to image subsurface structure from correlated data acquired from two or more Shakes. The timing and accurate location of the devices is an important part of the process. Of course I can do this with with a handheld GPS, but it’s more manual data handling, more scope for human error, etc. and my units have a GPS built in anyway.

It would be nice if we had some control over how this obfuscation occurs, i.e. is the GPS location shifted by a fixed offset, is it a randomised offset, or can we disable it altogether?

I hope I haven’t created more questions than answers here.

Cheers,
J

Hey Branden, when can we expect to see v0.19?