Building my Vault, work in progress

So, when I bought my Shake a couple of years ago, I was going to essentially follow the USGS design specs. I have the materials, dug the hole in my crawl space, ran the CAT 5E and placed my PoE Shake on the footing, waiting to find the gumption to pour my Polyethylene sealed drum in concrete. Recently I have had some issues staying online and crawled under the house to retrieve it. Short story is my consumer grade micro SD card is basically worn out. This was not a topic when the R-Shake Kickstarter project came out, but thanks to the support site, my new Industrial micro SD will be here tomorrow and I will be back in action.
minus the spider.

As the weather warms up, I will be mixing concrete and making my vault, taking pictures as I go. Understand, I follow the “Mythbusters” philosophy, “if it’s worth doing… it’s worth overdoing!”.

5 Likes

Pictures of the vault please, if you get the chance. I’m thinking of doing something similar, hopefully reducing unwanted noise.

Looking at that, minus the spider, I just realized you have another Pi hat between the Raspberry Pi and the Shake. Somehow that never occurred to me even though it’s so obvious, lol. I was using a splitter and all sorts of tricks to try to fit other things on it. What is that, some kind of GSM/GPRS module?

No, it’s a PoE for Raspberry, then all I had to do was run the CAT-5E and not worry about line voltage and another power supply under the house in the crawl space. My Office also has a large UPS (4 deep cycle 6v golf cart batteries) that in turn, keeps the switch with the PoE injectors and internet powered up.

When I signed up for the original Kickstarter R-Boom project, the helpful folks on the Shake team assisted with the design and built the custom case for it. (Thank you Angel and Amilcar!)

Right now, it resides on the footing and the vault is a hole in the ground under the house. Basically it is ready to pour concrete, just cold and wet outside and then will have to carry it into the house in 5 gallon buckets, then drop it on a garden cart to wheel it about 20 feet to the location…

But, I will thoroughly document the project as I do not want to have to extract any more spiders… and I think I can eliminate most of the social artifacts!

Regards

Thanks for the reply! I’m looking forward to seeing the steps and the final product.