Anyone have any clue what this might be?

2 Likes

Hello Philip,

It seems some kind of ‘very’ anomalous spike. Is it the first time it has appeared?

I could see something similar when my WiFi acted up and sent random signals around. They would be seen from the shake sensors and they (I think) disappeared after I changed the old modem with my new one.

I have seen other spikes, but nothing like this one. I wonder if the other spikes I see are due to the large concrete floor reacting as the temperature changes:

As you can see, this one is quite different, symmetrical above and below the zero (average) axis, and relatively long duration. That is what attracted my attention.

My network is not a typical home network with a modem/WiFi.

Mine has a modem, with a static IP. With dedicated UPS.
From the modem to a firewall/switch. With another UPS.
Some devices connected directly, mostly with static IPs, and two WiFi Access points.
DHCP is on the firewall.

The R-Shake is connected to a Wi-Fi access point of its own, configured as a client, which connects to one of the house access points (about 30m from the house).

The R-Shake and its access point have their own UPS.

2 Likes

Yes, I can see that indeed. Also the amplitude vs frequency chart shows an entirely different pattern when compared to this one.

I have personally not observed the first one (or, at least, it hasn’t jumped to my attention) so all that I can advise is to continue monitoring and see if it can be associated with a specific time of the day, or any other else “fixed” reference frame that could provide us more information.

And, as usual, if anyone in the community has an input to add, please feel free!

So far, this one is unique. The other, much more common example, I am pretty sure is expansion/contraction of the barn (concrete) floor where the R-Shake sits.

2 Likes

Could it be a power outage, your UPS taking relay ? It’s some cute anomaly though. :+1:

I suppose it could have been something like that. We have had other power outages and never seen anything similar. Maybe something more like a power transient/glitch.

The interesting thing is how long it lasts, and that it covers the entire range of the digitizer, as far as I can see. Also, the frequency graph looks like an almost perfect square wave response.

1 Like