Anybody having issues using a Cat6 Cable?

Moved my working RS3D from a two metre long Cat5E cable connected to an ZTE MF279T to a 30 metre long Cat6 cable connected to the same MF279 to allow optimal position of both cellular modem and RS3D. Repeatedly reconnected the Cat6 cable at both ends, but I cannot connect via rs:local. Manually powered up and down, but still nothing. Reconnect the two-metre long Cat5E, and no problems accessing the RS3D! The ZTE MF279 User Guide does not offer any guidance, nor does the ZTE Canada website. Anybody had any similar issues using a Cat6 cable?

Hello MRT1953,

Thank you for reporting this to us! Usually, it is the opposite that tends to happen, and we actually recommend using higher quality CAT6 cables for this and other reasons.

Have you tested the same cable with other devices in your home, such as pc or laptops? Do they successfully connect with it?

Stormchaser, thanks for your prompt guidance. I have no other devices to plug the new Cat6 cable into, but I discovered I could run my cellular modem on battery mode and move it to connect with the short-run cable provided with the modem. Thus I could set up my RS3D in stand-alone mode. Every day, I move the modem to the basement, connect up to access the past day’s helicorder traces, disconnect, then manually look for geotechnical events using ShakeNet to pin down signal vs. noise. Sub-optimal, but I’m not using up valuable and expensive bandwidth at this remote location.

1 Like

Yes, as per your location description I agree that bandwidth has to have the priority here.

Another element that you can maybe consider is a network repeater, that could give a boost to the signal transmitted by this longer cable, and maybe solve the issue.

However, it is not guaranteed to work, so before spending more money, you will have to weigh pro and cons of adding this new element.