Ambient resonance monitoring of rock arches

Hello Shake community - we are new users who wanted to test the capability of the Raspberry Shake 3D to measure the natural frequencies of vibration of rock arches here in Utah. We’ve been making these measurements for several years now, but always using a Trillium Compact / Centaur setup from Nanometrics. While that setup is amazing, it’s expensive, so we thought to test a Shake in the application. University of Utah undergraduate student researcher Clayton Russel made it happen.

Short of it is, it works! With some small caveats but overall very successful, which is encouraging to support widespread low-cost resonance measurements and monitoring of geological as well as civil features. Rock arches generally have clear resonant modes but low vibration amplitudes, so capturing the ambient resonant frequencies is a challenging measurement for any system.

Below is a link to the report, including direct comparison plots between the Shake 3D and Trillium Compact, and at the end a link to download all raw data if you’re keen to test it for yourself - geohazards.earth.utah.edu/images/UROP_Final_Report_CR.pdf

4 Likes

Beautiful work Clayton and Jeff! Thank you for sharing!

Hi Jeff!
I am Bambang Setiawan from Aceh, Indonesia. I just bought Raspberry Shake 3D a week ago. I want to use this seismometer for measuring the site natural frequency, also. Do you use Windows Operating System for communicating with the seismometer? If so, can you share the manual for instrument setting and data collection, please?
Thank you very much.

1 Like

Hi Bambang,
I use windows, yes, and access the shake using both command prompt and the web browswer, and use filezilla to download data. It took me some time to learn about how to set up the instrument for unsupervised use in the field (and with the GPS antenna), and I created a field manual to help me and my students perform basic ambient vibration data collection. In case it helps, I’m happy to share it…Raspberry Shake Field Operating Instructions.docx (18.6 KB)
Good luck! Jeff

1 Like