Accuracy of the Raspberry Shake

I am going to use the Raspberry Shake in a project where im meassuring the vibrations from trains passing by. How accurate are your devices, are they calibrated?
What model would be good for my needs?
I will get 2 shakes and then compare the resault.

2 Likes

Hello Rower, welcome to our community!

Yes, all the devices are calibrated, and you can find their specifications in this PDF here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/_downloads/RSGlobalTechnicalSpecificationsDocument.pdf

For your project (and assuming that you are interested in vertical vibration movement only) the RS1D or the RS4D would be the best choice. The difference between the two models is that the 1D is suited for weak vibration detection, while the 4D is suited for both weak and strong ground motion.

I would recommend the 4D if the vibrations are strong enough to make things vibrate in your house. In this case, the signal recorded by the 1D could get saturated, and the 4D would instead continue to record without issues.

If, instead, you are interested in three-dimensional movement, then the 3D (weak vibration detection) or again the 4D are the right models for you.

I hope this provides a starting point for what you want to achieve. If you have any other question(s), I remain available.

Would you think its a bad idea to go for the 3d version if the whole cabinet that the raspberry shake is in is in big rumble from time to time. You can really feel the shake.

I also have a question for a raspberry shake discord server. I would LOVE that, is it something i can tell people about in this forum or is it restricted?

If the vibrations are strong enough to move things in the cabinet, which would move the Shake too, then the 3D will likely saturate, and I would still recommend the 4D to compensate for this.

However, if the vibrations can be felt, but they do not physically move things where you want to put the Shake, then the 3D should be the model you’re looking for.

The wind move the cabinet so you can physically feel it move, so then i would use the 4D instead?
How would i compare the M^^S value and the M/S value? ENZ -> EHZ?

Then, yes, a 4D would be the most suitable device as the cabinet physically moves.

The two sensors measure different things, the EN* accelerometers measure, as per their name, acceleration, while the EH* sensor (the geophones) measures velocity. You can move between the two values with the appropriate formulae, of course, such as the ones in this calculator: Velocity Calculator v = u + at