Shake Model: Unknown model

Dear tech support,
I am experiencing a new problem with one of my shake (RS4D: AM.R334B).
The shake was disconnected for a while due to a power cut. Once I could restart the shake, I realized that the data production stopped. I formatted the SD card (8 Gb) and installed the newest Shake OS image. Now, I read “Shake Model: Unknown model” in the header of rs.local page, the data producer is still OFF as well as the connection to the server and the system status is stuck in “booting”. I attach the log file, any suggestion?
Thanks!
Velio

RSH…2023-03-14T09_40_13.logs.tar (56 KB)

1 Like

Hello Velio, and welcome back to our community!

Thank you for the logs from your Shake. From them, it appears that the software cannot reach the blue board of the Shake. Could I ask you to verify that all the connections between the sensor, the blue Shake board, and the Pi board are still solid and free from dirt or any other element that could compromise transmission? This is important, in particular, if the Shake is located in an environment where dust or moisture can affect it. If needed, you can find assembly guides here in our manual: Assembly Guide — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

When doing this, please make sure you are using proper ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) protection (such as gloves, etc.), as electronics do not like static electricity too much.

Thank you for your collaboration.

Thanks for your quick reply. Connections were solid and electronic boards clean. I solved the issue substituting AC/DC transformer and power cable. Finally, the shake is bask online!

3 Likes

Hello velio,

Perfect, thank you for the additional feedback, and I’m happy to hear that the Shake is now fully functional again!

For the record, was the previous power supply/cable the one we provided with the Shake, or another that you had? Just to do our usual quality checks.

The previous cable was composed of the original that you provided plus another piece of cable that I connected. The sensor is installed in a waterproof plastic box located in a testing field or my research institute and about 5 m of cable are needed to reach the power supply via cable conduit. I tested the “old” AD/DC converter in the lab and it is ok so the problem was the cable, possibly the junction?

2 Likes

Hello velio,

This is very important info for us, thank you!
From your examination, it is possible that the junction was the source of the issue, and we have passed the feedback to our tech team so that they can take it into account for future Shake models’ improvement.

Thank you again.

I have had terrible luck with USB cables used to extend power leads for R-PIs. No matter how pretty they look, they are all (at least the ones that you would actually want to pay for) cheap junk and have large voltage drops when passing typical R-PI current.

The only solution that I have found that works reliably is to use a step-down converter close to the R-Pi, and feed it with ~12v over the longer distance.

There is a somewhat long thread on the topic here:

1 Like