Question about raspberry network

In our area 6.4 mag earthquake occured on dec 29.(Croatia area) I took the initiative to local municipality about local seismic network, and they agree. They will buy 4 Rpi shahes (rs3D), and they would be connected in network or local network.
I have a question?
Could I connect this 4 Rpi stations in network to produce automatic calculation of EQ with magnitude, depth and distance? Is this possible with Raspberry shake stations?

Marco

1 Like

Great work @s52sk !!!

Automatic calculations can be accomplished using SeisComp software, but the minimum number of stations for SeisComP to generate an automated earthquake location is 6. And really quality depends on density, so working with less than a dozen would be hard for an automated system.

Branden

1 Like

I don’t know about doing it automatically, but you can do it manually using Swarm, as shown by Angel here: Locating earthquakes with Swarm - #4 by TideMan

Providing the epicentre is within your network, the location and depth can be calculated quite accurately using 4 or 5 RSs, but I haven’t managed to get the magnitude right - it’s usually underestimated. This is in comparison to “official” calculations done using a network of a dozen or more seismometers.

1 Like

OK thanks booth for answer. I will check this software Branden like you said.

Marco

1 Like