Using the swarm application

Hi
I am unable to access my data via the swarm application (screenshot attached).

And my log files:
RSH.RC0B4.2021-11-16T08_49_15.logs.tar (2.4 MB)
Also, I would like to know what is the procedure for reading data after using a GPS.
Should I plug the seismometer into the local network and access it with the swarm application using my computer?

Thanks

hi,

you can read about how to download your data here. that you are using GPS doesn’t have anything to do with the accessing or downloading data. the GPS signal is only responsible for governing the computer clock which is used to timestamp the data packets.

regarding your swarm issue, the screenshot you provided doesn’t really indicate what the problem might be. in order for swarm to work, the following requirements must be fulfilled:

• both the Shake Pi and the computer where Swarm is running must be able to communicate with each other. in most cases they will need to be on the same network. confirm this is the case using the ping command on the Swarm computer, and specifying the IP address of the Shake
  • if the Swarm program was not downloaded directly from the Shake itself, you will need to configure it yourself to specify the IP address of the Shake

more information on Swarm can be found here.

hope this helps,
richard

Hi, ivor,
I am attaching the log after pinging to the shake from the computer with the swarm program:
As you may see it seems that the host doesn’t respond. I noticed that when I ssh to the shake
I get this IP address:
however on the HTML page the last number is 7 not 6:

Maybe the problem derives from the difference in IP addresses?

Thanks

hi,

your first post had the IP address’s last tuple as 11, but it has since changed to 16, and at some point to 17. so, yes, a changing IP address will cause problems.

first, a question:

• why is this unit connected directly to the internet?
  • can you connect this to a local network where there is a router in between the Shake and internet at large? this is preferred for many reasons

second, try the following sequence of actions and check the results:

1. reboot the shake
  2. after boot sequence is complete (according to the shake configuration home page), confirm the IP addresses are the same: when logging in and on the configuration home page
  3. download the swarm package from the configuration home page, this will be configured to point to the most recently assigned IP address
  4. run this newly downloaded version of Swarm and see if the connection succeeds

cheers,
richard

Hi ivor,
Thank you for the suggestions;however, it seems that the swarm program (downloaded after each reboot) keeps trying to connect the IP address that ends with 11, while the shake itself changes the last two numbers every time I reboot (attached below); As it seems the swarm cannot synchronize with it. Any further suggestions?

P.S
We are not allowed to use a router in the university.
Thank you

hi,

you can always set the IP address of the Shake yourself, in the Swarm settings page:

please read the documentation for Swarm to fully understand its functionality. it is not a product of Raspberry Shake and is provided as a convenience.

cheers, hope this helps,
richard

1 Like

Thank you richard, now it works fine.
I have another question; can I download the seismograms to my computer
(as time series; clicks vs time) to process them via python? I have attached the
downloaded file as it looks now; it seems that it is not readable by python.

AM.RC0B4.00.EHN.D.2021.340 (7.8 MB)

Thanks again

Hello Michatse,

Yes, it is possible to read and process the output files from our Shakes via Python. We recommend using the software package Obspy (you can find it here, unless you already use it: https://docs.obspy.org/)

Once installed in your Python environment, you can read the data from files like the one you attached with this code line:

st = read("AM.RC0B4.00.EHN.D.2021.340")

Once done, the entire file content is available as a stream object. You can then process it as you want, by demeaning, detrending, filtering, plotting it and more!

We also have a ready-to-work example on our manual: Developer’s corner — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Great, thanks. Can you provide me with information regards the location of the
station response/inventory?
My station is still offline (firewall issues), so I cannot access it through “station view”.

No problem at all!

They are all available at this page on our manual: Metadata - Instrument Response Files — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

Thank you, Stormchaser,
However, I didn’t find the relevant file for RS3D-V7, which is at my disposal.

Hello Michatse,

Yes, you are right. You can download the instrument response of the V5, which will work for the V7 too. Both versions use the same file.

I will update our manual to reflect this, so thank you for pointing it out.

Hi Stormchaser,
No problem; however, the instrumental response corresponds to a specific station (not mine)
so python cannot attach it to my records (screenshot attached).
Is there a way to append only the response information to the stream? without the need to match the
information between the response and data files.

Thanks

You will need to use PDCC to edit the generic response file and customize it to your station …

https://ds.iris.edu/ds/nodes/dmc/software/downloads/pdcc/

Branden

1 Like