Uploading to Personal Website for Student Viewing

What would be the best way to make my RS1 data (helicorder) available for my students to view? I have it set up with SWARM to display in my classroom, but I’d like to have a way for them to access it online through my school website. I would prefer to have it be a live stream of data, but at this point I would settle for a screen shot that is updated somewhat frequently. This has been on my to do list for a while, but was put on the backburner. Now that I will be doing some remote learning this year, I’d like my kids to be able to access the data from home.

Thanks,
Jaime

Why not have them install SWARM on their machines and use that?
They will then have access to data from your RS1D, but also other RSs from around the world, as well as data from your country’s official earthquake agency (USGS or whatever).
Furthermore, they’ll be able to zoom in on events and download the data if they wish.

Setting all this up on your own website would be a monumental task. And why bother when SWARM is freely available?

1 Like

I teach HS earth science and my students are working with Chromebooks. Plus I wanted to make it available to the community to view. I created an account with IRIS and thought maybe that might be an option. I just can’t figure out how to get the data to display for my station.

Hello Jamie,

to clarify, do you need ‘just’ visual access to the stream of data, or do you need also the possibility for your students to download the same data and work with it? With what system are you operating, Windows, Mac or Linux?

Asking because the second would be more complex, while there are a couple of solutions for the first.

Hi,

I would just like a visual. That way if there is a major earthquake, students or others from the community could check from home to see if we picked it up at our station at school. They won’t need to work with data. I have been looking into getting it linked with IRIS, but I haven’t had any luck with that route either.

In my classroom, I display SWARM on a windows laptop. I also have it setup with jAmesies on the laptop too.

Thanks,
Jaime

All right Jamie, thanks for the clarifications.

I would suggest the use of rsudp, created by Ian M. Nesbitt and Richard I. Boaz of Raspberry Shake. It will provide you with an easy-to-understand interface to monitor the activity registered by your seismometer unit. It works (instructions are provided in the link below) with Windows, Mac or Linux:

Then, to provide the same to your students, you could easily setup (if you need, I can provide more detailed instructions then the ones listed in the link below) a live streaming on Youtube, for example, using a free software called OBS Studio:

I have a similar setup to stream 24/7 my meteor detection system, it all works without a hitch.

Furthermore, rsudp has the capability of trigger event customization, and add multiple consequent actions once the same trigger has been activated.

In this way, once everything is set-up, everyone (from your students to your community) will be able to see what happens in real-time, and the triggers could aid in providing some alerts or dedicated messages. The possibilities are endless, I’d say.

1 Like

shakenet.raspberryshake.org is also an option. Or the students could download the ShakeNet mobile app to their cell phones and then “Follow” the classroom Shake.

Branden

1 Like