Sonifying data from stand-alone mode

Hello everyone,

I have a double question regarding transforming the data from stand-alone mode to sound files. I would like to sonify the data from the RBOOM recorded in a location with no internet.

The first question is if anybody can point me out to some guide on how to transform the data from the RBOOM to a sound file.

The second question is regarding the location of the mseed data in the SD card. I have the gps antenna and I was able to change the internal clock but I couldn’t locate the data in the sd-card. I used Filezilla to read the folder structure of the sd card.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hello Mig19,

To sonify the output of a RBOOM, if this unit was connected to the network you could have used our RShake Sound App (https://sound.raspberryshake.org/), but since it is a stand-alone recording, the details on how the app converts the raw data to sound can be found at this section in our manual: Mobile and Web Apps — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

The raw data are located in the /opt/data/archive folder, and you can find a guide on how to reach it with FileZilla here: How to download your data — Instructions on Setting Up Your Raspberry Shake

After connecting, you may need to double click on the top folder of the structure (the one listed with ..) a couple of times before you can see the entire list of folders in the microSD card.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I will check those links.
-M

2 Likes

Hello Stromchaser,

I trying to convert the miniseed data from the sensor to hertz in order to create a wav file. I am trying to do it offline transcoding the counts to ms and from ms to hertz.

I have two questions about the sensor.

1/My sensor is R2FF1, When I try to download the Last 24hr of data (MSeed format) from the station view, https://stationview.raspberryshake.org/#/?lat=35.73708&lon=-77.89482&zoom=10.004&net=AM&sta=R2FF1, the file is a query file and not a file with the extension .mseed?

2/Where can I find the amount of counts of the sensor equals 1 meter/second?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Miguel

Hello Miguel,

Regarding your two questions:

1. Yes we are aware of the bug and we are working to correct it. Even if the filename appears as query it is in .mseed format. You will have, until the fix is in place, to manually rename it as, for example myfile.mseed, and it will be usable.

2. The details regarding the Microbarometer sensor used for our RBOOM and RSBOOM models can be found here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/_downloads/SpecificationsforBoom_SnB.pdf

However, remember that this instrument measures a change in air pressure, so the relationship that can be found there is a count to pascal one. In both models, the sampling rate is the same 100 samples per second.

Thank you very much for your quick replay

I have an additional question if the sensitivity of the sensor is the following one:
56,000 counts/ Pascal +/- 10% precision
Could you point me in the direction to find a formula to convert that into meters per second?
Thank you very much!
Miguel