Server Connection : Not Connected

Hello Tech Support Wizards!

I’ve recently received a new BOOM unit and am having a problem with the unit connecting to the community and sharing data.

I do not have the ability to post logs here. Below is the relevant information I can provide:

Raspberry Pi Model : 3 Model B+
System Status : RUNNING
System Version : 0.18
Ethernet Local IPv4 : 10.0.1.100
Ethernet MAC : b8:27:eb:82:37:86
Data Producer : ON
Data Consumer : ON
Stand-Alone : OFF
Data Forwarding : ON
Server Connection : Not Connected
Elevation : 55 m
System Time : 2020-03-05 04:32:54 UTC
Disk Usage : 21% Used – 11810Mb Available
CPU Temp : 60 C / 140 F
Uptime : 0 Days 1 Hours 3 Minutes

Stand-Alone Mode : OFF
Ethernet UP : YES
WiFi UP : NO
DNS Available : YES
Network Accessible : YES
Nameservers : 10.0.1.2

Data-Sharing Mode : ON
Data Server Conn : OFF
Save Data Days : 14
Heli Scale : 0.1
Station Name : AM.R3786.00.HDF
Geophone : OSOP

I did notice an error in odf_SL_plugin.err to the effects of:

odf_SL_plugin: Program Starting...
Unable to process configuration file '/opt/settings/user/UDP-data-streams.conf', format is invalid, cannot register UDP destinations.
Some meta-data is invalid, trying again.
Srvr returned code (3), unable to connect.

But I corrected that. The program complains because the UDP-data-streams.conf file is empty by default seemingly. I added {“UDP-destinations”: []} as the contents of that file and the error message went away. However, it still seems like there’s a problem pushing data up and out due to an error 3 from the remote server?

In odf_SL_plugin.log I can see three destinations for data. The first being to DDS raspberryshakedata.com:55555, the second is UDP (no other information), and the third is SEISCOMP (no other information). The line in the log output above indicating some metadata is wrong seems like that’s the problem. I can get a connection to the DDS-MD server but it responds back with error code 3 and boots me? After 11 tries (I assume the code is starting at 0 and going to 10 [11 total, off by 1 error?]) the unit stops trying to connect. What metadata is incorrect and how can I correct it?

I have verified that SSH is working, NTP is set, external/Internet DNS resolution is working, and outbound firewall rules are all operational and as far as I can tell not hampering any sort of outbound connections.

I can get to the web interface and download the logs, however, I cannot transfer them onto the public Internet at large…security policy…

I can certainly check any logs for issues.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

hi there,

thanks for all the information (in absence of being able to post your log files), very much appreciated.

and you are due my apologies: your meta-data was being rejected due to an unexpected firmware version being passed in. this has now been fixed. please restart the data services (rsh-restart on a command line), or reboot, and your connection should result in success from now on.

cheers, and thanks for participating in our little (read: global) experiment in citizen science!

richard

Oh no problem! Thanks a bunch.

The unit does now say it’s connected, and when I look in ShakeNet the unit was removed from the MyShake page. I assume that’s because it needs to be reindexed or associated with my account after being allowed to connect?

Thanks again!

oh my, sorry again… there was another update i needed to make, can you please restart your unit to connect to the server again?

thanks in advance,

richard

Sure thing! Haha, ya sure there aren’t any more updates that should be made? :^)

Thanks again!

your unit is on-line, guess no more updates were needed… :wink:

thanks for your patience and understanding,

richard

Thanks a bunch for your help and my slight razzing there, haha. I do appreciate being able to contribute! I fixed my MD-info.json so I am now showing back up under ShakeNet…I had a bad e-mail address in there left over from initial config.

Thanks again!

1 Like