Reinstallation Woes

As I mentioned previously, I would be a bit suspicious of the general health of you SD card given its age and the fact that it seemingly became corrupt once before. I would suggest replacing it.

What you replace it with matters. There are three types of SD card:

• TLC - these are the high capacity, relatively cheap ones. The problem with these is that they are only good for 2 to 3 thousand write cycles. The Shake logs a lot of info, so it can kill these pretty rapidly.

• MLC - Lower capacity, but still relatively cheap. But good for more like 100,000 write cycles. Probably what you want.

• SLC - So called ā€œIndiustrial gradeā€ - only available in lower capacities 1 to 8 or maybe 16 GB but good for around 2 million write cycles. Unfortunately, not cheap.

In some not too distant update of the Shake OS we I think we are going to see a modification that will allow you to plug in a USB drive, and all the logging will be directed to that rather than the SD card. That would take the load off that card and increase itā€™s life expectancy, even with a cheaper card significantly.
You can actually configure this yourself, but you do need to be a little familiar with the Linux command line to do it.

As for the .local domain ā€¦ itā€™s sort of a hack, and it doesnā€™t always work. As it happens, it does for me MOST of the time, but I still prefer to use the actual IP.

1 Like

That was NOT the original card that I did the new OS replacement. It was not a BRAND NEW card but an extra that I had. What are the odds that it too was defective?

1 Like

Unlikelyā€¦ Not impossible, but it wouldnā€™t be my first place to look to place blame.

Have you tried using ping on the address?
Running a network scanner (Fing, etc.) to see if it is responding at lower level on the network?
Then take another look at the LEDs, and finally, remove power, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect?

1 Like

I just completed a PING test successfully. Iā€™ve been hesitant about a HARD disconnect but will try that.

Back in February, I tried connecting with similar difficulty and gave up. I can feel that outcome at this attemptā€¦

1 Like

Well, if Ping replies, that shows that basic networking is up.

If you have, or can load, ā€˜nmapā€™ that will scan the network interface and tell you what ports are open/responding. If port 80 is there, you may want to try a different browser, although that sort of problem is a bit unlikely.

1 Like

Hello JerryP,

I can see your Shake streaming live data on our services, here is StationView: RS StationView

Data seems to have been flowing again without issue from ~13UTC yesterday, with only an hour interruption around 00UTC tonight.

Thank you. YES, weā€™ll see if it keeps playing WITHOUT any interruptions.

2 Likes