IRIS naming convention - RS4D's

I am curious about the naming convention for the Raspberry Shake 4D’s. For the available channels that the RS4D outputs, it has a single geophone and 3 component accelerometers, but the channels that are output are AM.R???.00.EHZ… (geophone) and AM.R???.00.EN?. for the 3 components of the accelermeters. This doesn’t seem correct to me as I believe according to the IRIS naming convention, the accelerometer components should actually have the designation of HN? (IRIS: SEED Channel Naming). According to their convention, anything with a corner period > 10 seconds (corner frequency < 0.1 sec) should have a broadband classification. Speaking with a fellow colleague of mine, accelerometers have no corner frequency (or period) as they respond to DC acceleration (i.e. static tilts) and thus, they are truly a “broadband” instrument. Is there a specific reason as to why the accelerometer components of RS4D’s are given the classification of EN[ZNE]? The paper put out by the USGS indicates that the RS4D geophone has a corner period of 0.5 Hz, but that is the geophone, and they don’t really elaborate (from what I briefly read) that the accelerometer has a corner period. (https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article/90/1/219/566431/Do-Low-Cost-Seismographs-Perform-Well-Enough-for)
Any clarification as to why the RS4D’s are set up with the EN? classification as opposed to the HN? classification would be greatly helpful. Thanks all!

Good morning @jpschmidt8

Those band codes developed by the FDSN always looked very seismometer-centric to me. Using the SEED Manual definition alone, the Nanometrics Titan Class A force feedback accelerometer would have the same channel name as the Raspberry Shake’s Class C MEMs accelerometer. The channel naming was chosen by me to differentiate between the two. Even though the RS’s MEMs accelerometer is “flat” to DC, I would hardly call it “broadband”.

Thank you so much for being a part of the Raspberry Shake Community and for supporting the project.

Branden

1 Like

Thanks for the response @braden. If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, would it be possible to request a response (bode) plot for these MEMs sensors?

See here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/_downloads/SpecificationsforRaspberryShake4DMEMSV4.pdf

branden

1 Like