Help get Raspberry Shake on Wikipedia

Hi Shakers,

Buenos días!

Wikipedia is the encyclopedia of the Internet and one of the largest crowd sourced knowledge repositories. From the mundane to the quirky, everything seems to have its own wiki page. I often go to wiki first when I am researching a new topic - magnetometers, electric engines, Tesla, the history of Mars rovers, a timeline of gravity assisted satellite missions, sun spots, mud volcanoes- just to name a few of the recent Google searches that led me to Wikipedia pages.

We need your help get Raspberry Shake on Wikipedia because we cannot do it ourselves.

Why? To ensure people can find a purely informative and unbiased description of Raspberry Shake and the Raspberry Shake Community.

As a company Wikipedia won’t allow us to create/ publish a page about the Raspberry Shake. This makes a lot of sense as the rule helps to avoid biased views - So we were hoping that some of you may like to create the Raspberry Shake Wikipedia page yourselves!

It’s easy to get started and there are a ton of useful videos and instructions online - See here for what Wikipedia says about getting started. If any of you have already contributed to, or published a page on Wikipedia previously, this could really help speed things up.

Who would like to get involved? - Please comment below.

Thanks so much for your help :wink: - Happy Shaking!

Please note that you are welcome to cite and use any Raspberry Shake links, photos and logos, and if any additional information is required, please let us know!

branden

branden CEO, Raspberry Shake
June 19

Hi Shakers,

Buenos días!

Wikipedia is the encyclopedia of the Internet and one of the largest crowd
sourced knowledge repositories. From the mundane to the quirky, everything
seems to have its own wiki page. I often go to wiki first when I am
researching a new topic - magnetometers, electric engines, Tesla, the
history of Mars rovers, a timeline of gravity assisted satellite missions,
sun spots, mud volcanoes- just to name a few of the recent Google searches
that led me to Wikipedia pages.

We need your help get Raspberry Shake on Wikipedia because we cannot do it
ourselves.

Why? To ensure people can find a purely informative and unbiased description
of Raspberry Shake and the Raspberry Shake Community.

As a company Wikipedia won’t allow us to create/ publish a page about the
Raspberry Shake. This makes a lot of sense as the rule helps to avoid biased
views - So we were hoping that some of you may like to create the Raspberry
Shake Wikipedia page yourselves!

It’s easy to get started and there are a ton of useful videos and
instructions online - See here for what Wikipedia says about getting
started. If any of you have already contributed to, or published a page on
Wikipedia previously, this could really help speed things up.

Who would like to get involved? - Please comment below.

Thanks so much for your help - Happy Shaking!

Please note that you are welcome to cite and use any Raspberry Shake links,
photos and logos, and if any additional information is required, please let
us know!

branden

Branden,

I’ve used PBworks before with no problems. Having a Wiki is an excellent
idea, but you do need to ensure that members do actually contribute!

Example:
http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/page/17117302/FrontPage

Cheers,
David

SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.c

David:

Great to see you on the new forum. I made you a “Power User”.

I meant a wikipage on wikipedia.com :slight_smile:

Yours, branden

Branden

I’m an engineer, not an architect: I can build stuff, but I lack creativity.
So, if someone designs the site, I’d be happy to help build it.
I’ve recently retired, so I have the time.

Derek

Thanks Derek!

I have never submitted a wikipedia entry but I am pretty sure they provide all of the formatting.

branden

1 Like

Wikipedia’s markdown-style editing format is known as Wikitext.

OK, the mechanics of creating a page seem pretty straightforward.
But what needs thinking about is the angle.
The subject needs to “notable”, in other words, worthy of notice or suitable for an encyclopaedia:

I’m not sure we can devise a “notable” angle.
Perhaps a better approach would be to add info about RS to the Seismometer or Geophone wikis?

Hi,

I think that “notability” can be documented.

Shakes have an IRIS network code for the raspberry shake project “AM” notable all by itself
Have been tested by ASL the place that tests seismometer for the USGS. Will Provide article
Guest speaker at the British Geological Society last year.
Articles in Mag Pi, and several other important magazines ( will find the references)
Successful Kickstarter Campaign
Largest private seismic network in the world

I can go on and will be glad to help with reaching “notability”
Saludos,

Angel

Yes, Angel, we can put all of those great achievements in the article, but how do we encapsulate them in a way that is “notable” and not just an advertisement?
Perhaps we concentrate on the network:
Private Seismic Network
Network of Hobby Seismometers
?
?

I would go the route of the citizen science seismic network.

It’s a bit of a mouthful:
Citizen Science Seismic Network
(She sold seashells at the sea shore…),
but I like the concept.

If I remember correctly, the requirement for it not to be an advertisement or self-promotion is that we at Raspberry Shake don’t write the page. Kind of unfortunate but I completely understand why they do this.

I think @Chirinet’s solution isn’t bad, considering there are also ways to create redirects (say, the “Raspberry Shake” page redirects to “Citizen Science Seismic Network” or vice versa).

I suspect that there would be no problem with “Raspberry Shake Seismic Network”
ttps://www.fdsn.org/networks/detail/AM/
It a recognized seismic network and a big one at that.

1 Like

I think there may be two issues here. Putting it on Wikipedia should raise awareness of the project, which is great. You could perhaps refer to one or two places it’s in use.

However, what I was thinking of was to use a Wiki with entries from the users - expert or beginner - as a knowledge base where the commonly asked questions could be answered, thus reducing the support effort required. Yes, there is an FAQ, but a Wiki can be updated much more easily. That’s why I suggested PBworks, which is a Wiki under your control, which the public Wikipedia definitely is not!

The problem we are trying to solve here though is our visibility on the public Wikipedia, not create a whole new one! :slight_smile:

Hey Branden,

I’m an avid user of Espruino development boards (similar to Arduinos but they run Javascript), and actually created the Wiki page for that. And it was, in fact, after the creator/owner made a similar request, haha. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espruino). It’s a little on the slim side still, but the device photos and screenshots were all me, so I have a decent handle on getting at least a basic entry going. And similar to my fondness for Espruino, I’m a big fan of the Shake network/devices/all of it, so I’d be happy to get an entry going. I’ll get it online in the next couple of days if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

3 Likes

Exactly and another page it could link to could be the list of Citizen Science projects on Wikipedia, like this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_citizen_science_projects

1 Like

Hey Tambeb

Back in June you said you’d get a Wiki page up on the Shake network.
I was going to have a go, but if you already have experience setting one up, I could contribute by fleshing out and/or editing what you set up.

Cheers
Derek

1 Like

I think any Wikipedia article should reference 3rd-party articles on the Shake. The British Geological Survey posted this 2018 video of a talk than Angel gave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPbRsmpxYhw Is there any similar type of information available in written form, or some kind of academic paper? One example is below, but I do not know if the full text of the article is available without a paid subscription.

“Do Low‐Cost Seismographs Perform Well Enough for Your Network? An Overview of Laboratory Tests and Field Observations of the OSOP Raspberry Shake 4D” [Robert E. Anthony] [Adam T. Ringler] [David C. Wilson] [Emily Wolin], Seismological Research Letters (2018) 90 (1): 219-228.
https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article-abstract/90/1/219/566431/do-low-cost-seismographs-perform-well-enough-for